Chocolate Malteser Cake
easy to make cake for all kinds of family celebrations
250g self raising flour
250g soft brown sugar
50 g cocoa powder
250 g plain chocolate, 70% cocoa solids
4 eggs, lightly beaten
For the icing: 400g plain or milk chocolate
284ml pot single cream
100-200g icing sugar
175g pouch of Maltesers
You will need 2 x 18cm sandwich cake tins
1. Heat the oven 160ºC conventional
(shelf below centre), fan oven 150ºC, gas mark 3 (centre shelf).
Base line the cake tins with greaseproof paper.
2. Sieve the flour, sugar and
cocoa into a bowl.
3. Melt the chocolate and butter
with 200ml of water in a pan, gently.
4. Add to the flour with the eggs.
5. Pour into the prepared tins
and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. They
may crack a little on the surface.
6. Allow to cool for 10 minutes
in the tins and then turn out onto a cooling rack to cool fully.
7. To make the icing: melt the
chocolate with the cream and butter until smooth. Allow to cool until
it is spreadable and beat in enough icing sugar to make the mixture
8. Finish the cake with the icing,
smoothing out any surfaces that have cracked, decorate with the Maltesers
courtesy of Rangemaster.co.uk